BARTable Holiday Airport Travel Guide
SFO vs OAK – which is better for your trip?
- More flights options than OAK, but often long security checkpoint lines
- Trip cost: SFO > Embarcadero - approximately $10 and 32 minutes
- Often flight delays due to fog and rain
- Fewer flight options than SFO, but shorter security checkpoint lines as a result
- Trip cost: OAK > Embarcadero - approximately $11 and 35 minutes
- Fewer delays than SFO due to its location on the sunny side of the Bay
San Francisco International Airport
You can also take the free SFO AirTrain from all terminals directly to the BART station. Follow the signs to the AirTrain and board the train to the BART station.
If you fly into the International Terminal, turn right when leaving customs, and take the escalator up to the departures level. Walk straight ahead and turn left at the art exhibit and you’ll see the station entrance.
- Board an Antioch train to one of the four downtown San Francisco BART stations. From there, it’s an easy walk to most San Francisco hotels and the Moscone Convention Center.
- Find your hotel on this map of downtown San Francisco.
- Board an Antioch train to the 12th St/Oakland City Center station and you'll be right in downtown, a few blocks from Chinatown and Jack London Square.
- If you are in San Francisco, take any SFO-bound train from any station. If you are in the East Bay, you may have to transfer to an SFO-bound train. Use BART’s online Trip Planner for more details.
- Upon arriving at SFO, go upstairs to take the AirTrain to Terminal 1, 2 or 3 for domestic flights. You can also walk to your terminal without taking the AirTrain. The International Terminal entrance is on the platform level of the station.
Oakland International Airport
The Oakland Airport BART station is located just across from the Terminal 1 baggage claim area and a short walk from Terminal 2.
To/from Downtown Oakland
Take BART from OAK to Coliseum station, then board a San Francisco/Daly City-bound train to one of the four downtown San Francisco BART stations. From there, it’s an easy walk or short cab ride to most San Francisco hotels and the Moscone Convention Center.
To return to OAK, take a Warm Springs/South Fremont or Dublin/Pleasanton-bound train to the Coliseum station and go upstairs to transfer to an OAK train at Platform 3.
Find your hotel on this map of downtown San Francisco.
Learn more about taking BART after you arrive at Oakland International Airport with this “How-to” video below.
- For ease and convenience, we recommend that passengers purchase a regional Clipper card. Clipper cards are like debit cards with stored value. Use the fare calculator to determine how much value to load onto your card. Clipper cards can be used on all major Bay Area transit systems. You also save $.50 per BART trip and get discounts with other transit agencies.
- Children 4 and under ride free.
- Find more information about paying your fare.
- Mon-Fri: 5am-11:53pm
- Sat: 6:30am-11:53pm
- Sun: 8am-11:53pm*